St Mary Magdalene Old Fish Street

St Mary Magdalene Old Fish St watercolour
St Mary Magdalene Old Fish St watercolour

St Mary Magdalene Old Fish Street was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666 and rebuilt by Wren in 1687 when the parish was combined with that of St Gregory by St Pauls. Then in 1886 disaster struck as a fire in a nearby warehouse broke out and severely damaged the church. It was decided under the Union of Benefices Act to pull down the remaining masonry and combine the parish with St Martin Ludgate

It was one of the many lost churches in the vicinity of St Pauls which are shown on the copperplate map of 1555 below. This area was heavily bombed in WW2 an redeveloped into Old Change Square.

St Mary Magdalene Old Fish St copperplate map 
St Mary Magdalene Old Fish St copperplate map
St Mary Magdalene Old Fish St Parish Map 
St Mary Magdalene Old Fish St Parish Map 

See our page on St Mary Magdalene Old Fish Street here

Leave a Reply